This blog is my place to muse about evaluation – how theory and practice relate to each other, what it means for evaluation to be “useful”, what “good” evaluation means, and how to do good evaluation. I am interested in surprise – why programs do not behave as expected, why evaluations do not behave as expected, and how good evaluation can be done in the face of uncertainty. It’s the last part that occupies most of my time. The reasons for surprise are well known. How to do good evaluation when surprise rears its ugly head is not so well understood. I see evaluation surprise as fire that pops up unexpectedly. My desire is to help develop a community of interest on the topic of moving away from firefighting to anticipatory, systematic planning.
- contact Jonny
- Converting an intellectual understanding of complexity into practical tools
- Evaluation as Social Technology
- How to Evaluate a Conference
- Integrating Evaluation and Agent-Based Modeling
- Program Logic, Program Theory, and Unintended Consequences: Understanding Relationships. Implementing Action
- System design: Requirements, complexity, and cost
- Systems as Program Theory and as Methodology: A Hands on Approach over the Evaluation Life Cycle: Workshop at the American Evaluation Association Summer Institute
- Unintended consequences, Development, and Democracy
- What to Do When Impacts Shift and Evaluation Design Requires Stability?
- Why Do Hospitals Coordinate Activities As They Do? Or: What I Learned From My Hip Surgery
- Workshop: Grappling With the Unexpected From Firefighting to Systematic Action
- Workshop: Logic Models — Beyond the Traditional View
- A complexity perspective on a theory of change for long term program effects
- What complexity theory do evaluators need to know?
- Applying Complexity to Make Practical Decisions About Evaluation
- A Plan for Making Complexity Useful in Evaluation
- Case Study Example: Drawing on Complexity to do Hands-on Evaluation
- Follow Surprises in Programs and their Evaluations on WordPress.com
Hours & Info1-202-555-1212Lunch: 11am - 2pm
Dinner: M-Th 5pm - 11pm, Fri-Sat:5pm - 1am