Our book group is part of the Tucson, Arizona contingent of Azenet, an AEA affiliate. Reading Evaluation in the Face of Uncertainty chapters 1-4 has stimulated the rich discussion and experience sharing that we had hoped for, among new and experienced evaluators. As JM anticipated in the intro, some read cases as they were cited, while others are waiting to read them later and are inserting our own experiences. None of us has discussed systematically common problems, surprises and solutions before. Can people learn to handle surprises before becoming evaluators/researchers? We agreed that the book would be a great read for an Evaluation II course. We’ve begun to call it Uncertainty in the Face of Evaluation…. More on our discussion next post.
- contact Jonny
- Converting an intellectual understanding of complexity into practical tools
- Evaluation as Social Technology
- How to Evaluate a Conference
- Integrating Evaluation and Agent-Based Modeling
- Program Logic, Program Theory, and Unintended Consequences: Understanding Relationships. Implementing Action
- System design: Requirements, complexity, and cost
- Systems as Program Theory and as Methodology: A Hands on Approach over the Evaluation Life Cycle: Workshop at the American Evaluation Association Summer Institute
- Unintended consequences, Development, and Democracy
- What to Do When Impacts Shift and Evaluation Design Requires Stability?
- Why Do Hospitals Coordinate Activities As They Do? Or: What I Learned From My Hip Surgery
- Workshop: Grappling With the Unexpected From Firefighting to Systematic Action
- Workshop: Logic Models — Beyond the Traditional View
- A complexity perspective on a theory of change for long term program effects
- What complexity theory do evaluators need to know?
- Applying Complexity to Make Practical Decisions About Evaluation
- A Plan for Making Complexity Useful in Evaluation
- Case Study Example: Drawing on Complexity to do Hands-on Evaluation
- Follow Surprises in Programs and their Evaluations on WordPress.com
Hours & Info1-202-555-1212Lunch: 11am - 2pm
Dinner: M-Th 5pm - 11pm, Fri-Sat:5pm - 1am